Tuesday, May 11, 2010



Albert Morales
I don't think I'm in the same league as any of these other artists, but I do have to say that there is an admiration for his work ethic that I could relate to. One of those being that rising to the challenge attitude. My parents bought me this dvd on Frazetta from discovery channel I believe. I urge people to get it. He really had that attitude of he could do anything....or even better...don't tell him what he can't do. His work was/is powerful. He was a something.

Neal Adams
The passing of Frank Frazetta is like the passing of a hero, who turns to challenge you and say "Get the Hell out here onto the field! If I can do it, you can do it! Damn you!"

But none of us could "do it" like Frank Frazetta.

He'll be missed because he was unique, and no one will ever fill his shoes.

All the rest of us can do is try.

Andy Kubert
To me, Frank was not only a founding father of comic book art, but the founding father of the modern fantasy art genre. Any time I look at a Frazetta piece, I discover something new that I hadn’t seen in the prior 1000 times I had looked at it before. And he made it all seem so effortless.

We are all very lucky for his talent, not only to the artists that he influenced and inspired, but for the many fans that were appreciative and touched by his works

David Finch
I've had Frazetta's work close to my drawing table for many years, and I always try to soak up a small part of the power he put into every image he ever drew. He was a lightning bolt of creativity and dynamic power in a field of mostly static, posed, photo traced work. Nobody ever had to explain the appeal of Frank's work to anyone. It reaches out and grabs you the minute you lay eyes on it, and makes you want more. He transcended his medium and influenced everything from comic books to music to movies and books. In an era when fine art consisted of mindlessly splattering canvasses and proving inane intellectual points, Frank Frazetta was showing that painting had more vitality than it ever had before.

Mike Deodato Jr.
The movement and energy of his drawings are unparallel until today, and it made a big impact on comics. He was also the finest draftsman who has ever lived, and his ability to imply textures using ink is incomparable. I was heavily influenced by him as everyone else. Every time I draw something organic, like plants, dinosaurs, warriors, and so forth, I go after his work for inspiration. That was a great loss. There will never be another Frazetta.